Christmas for the Bush 2016 Report
Christmas for the Bush is the major annual project of Care Outreach is which we aim to connect with every family on our database.
Christmas for the Bush 2016 was run between Nov 26th and Dec 17th.
There were approx 120 volunteers that covered Qld areas from The South Burnett & Darling Downs, south to Goondiwindi and then west towards the South Australian border travelling as far north as Windorah, Blackall, Injune & Arcadia Valley and Taroom and to the south across the NSW border up to an hours travel time. We had a small group visit around the Charters Towers region and our NSW group visited around the greater Condobolin area.
There were approx 1800 visits.
- we distributed over 1720 Christmas Cakes,
- 490 Hampers including Christmas, General, Gluten Free and Diabetic
- 222 Toiletry Packs compromising family and individual male/female
- 1602 Gifts – covering adults, children, families & mum and dad
We again ran in conjunction with CFTB the Christmas for the Bush Bash events across 8 communities. The ‘Bush Bash’ is a free bbq and christmas community event that has been run for about 6 years. A guest artist entertains the attendees, christmas carols are sung, christmas activites happen during the evening and a freebie area with clothing, toiletries, toys, books, household items and other misc is well received.
Here is a short video of some CFTB action
We appreciate receiving messages from the families our volunteers visit. Here are some excerpts.
- I wanted to say a heartfelt thankyou on behalf of myself and my family.
Today we were in the paddocks sorting out hay for our cattle, many of which we
are currently hand feeding. When we arrived back at the house, there was a
lovely surprise waiting for us in the form of gifts from Care Outreach. On
the way back from the last load we did before lunch, I had been trying to work
out in my head what to include/exclude from today’s grocery list…..
embarrassingly I knew I didn’t have enough money in the account for all of
what was on the list. Your parcel has taken care of several items which I
needed to buy and many others which will be used over the coming weeks, so we
thank you sincerely for this. I would also like to say that the practical
nature of these parcels is so suited to a family like ours – keep up the great
- Thankyou so much for the Christmas parcels. We have enjoyed eating our way through most of the goodies already and feel well pampered by the gift packages!
- Many thanks for your Christmas gifts and beautiful hamper delivered to our property. Your kindness is very much appreciated.
- Last week two of your wonderful helpers came to visit us and brought us a very lovely Christmas Hamper. We were absolutely thrilled, it was a very kind thought by your team and such very nice and friendly people bringing it, we had a lovely Cuppa and chat together
- We have just received our lovely Christmas package from Care Outreach and we wanted to thank you and let you know how much it brightened our day. We have just had our 5th day in a row of 40 plus degree heat and we had been out feeding lick to our cows because it has really dried off. Arriving back to the house feeling very hot and sweaty it was such a lovely surprise to find the Christmas presents and made us feel very warm and fuzzy! It is a really wonderful thing that your organisation does and we just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate it. It reminds us of the true meaning of christmas and we hope that we can pay it forward by doing something nice for someone else.
We collect year round for CFTB – here are some ways you can help.
Donate Practical donations (gifts, food items, toiletries)
- Gifts – All ages from baby through to senior adults
- Hamper Items – all types of non-perishable food lines are required. Cereal, Tinned Veg, Tinned Fruit, Tinned Fish, Pasta Sauce, Pasta & Rice, Condiments and Spreads, Biscuits – sweet & savoury, Tea & Coffee, Soft Drink & Juice. Specific items for Christmas Hampers are eg: Plum Puddings, Mince Pies, Tinned Biscuits & Shortbread, Christmas Confectionery etc. We also have need of a range of Gluten Free goods and Sugar Free Diabetic Friendly items.
- Toiletries – Shampoo & Conditioner, Toothbrushes (no larger than 5 packs), Razors, Deodorants & Body Spray, Shower Gel, Hand Cream & Body Lotion, Mens Toiletries
- Finance – financial donations are Tax Deductible.
- Donations can be made via Direct Debit to Care Outreach Ltd BSB: 034 204 A/C 193 866. Use your surname as reference. For first time donors, please notify the office (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your donation and email address for issuing of your receipt
- Credit Card can be accepted over the counter and also by phone – 07 5471 7636
- By post PO Box 467, Palmwoods, Qld, 4555.
- By clicking the ‘Donate Now’ button on our Home Page. This will direct you to the secure giving site ‘GiveNow’.
Field Volunteers – Trained volunteers are required for our visitation project. If you have a heart for Outback families, are good at listening and care about the Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Well-being of these people this might just be for you. Training – there is no scheduled date as yet
Warehouse volunteers – we have need of volunteer assistance year round
- Clothing & Linen – (mostly pre-loved) includes sorting, processing and packing into boxes. MUST have a very particular eye for detail and quality
- Pre-loved books & toys – help is needed to sort, check over, clean, box up etc. Part of the job is ‘quality testing’ the toys (yes that means play with them for the kids at heart)
- On-going garage sale – there are a lot of tasks required to keep this area going, including putting out clothes, sorting jewellery, homewares etc.
- There will also be some seasonal assistance required as we prepare for Christmas for the Bush.